Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Claytons first year

Clayton was born on November 19 2008 @ the university of Utah hospital in Salt lake City. He was directly passed through a window (@ 4 seconds old) into the NIC- U. Hours later they brought him to us in an transport incubator, We got to hold his hand for a couple of minutes. Then they took him to Primary Children Medical Center where he spent the next 3 months. He spent the first month in the PIC-U, Chet and I finally got to hold him for the first time when he was 4 days old, It was great even if it took 4 nurses to get him there and we couldn't really cuddle him because of all the tubes and stuff.
He had open heart surgery @ six days old and colostomy surgery @ 12 days old. He also had a surgery to put in a central line, a thoracic duck surgery, and surgery to tie down his diaphragm. He also had a day there that we almost lost him, he did actually die, but he came back to us!
He was then transferred to the NIC-U where he spent 2 months. While there he had another surgery to put in a central line, and a surgery to fix his stomach. He also had to learn to eat and suck and everything! He had a breathing tub in for the first 2 months of his life with 4 failed attempts to remove it, then one day I walk into his room and he has decided to take it out himself and then it stayed out. He was also diagnosed with Mowat-Wilson syndrome, Which explains all of his medical problems.
We had a lot of wonderful firsts for Clayton, I never thought I would get so excited to put on his first PJ's, But when you don't get to do that until your baby is 2 1/2 months old it is kinda a big thing. I also got VERY excited when I could walk into his room and pick him up ALL BY MY SELF, no nurses, and I could hold him as long as I wanted too!!!
Clayton was checked out on February 11th, after spending his first thanksgiving, Christmas, and New years, A total of 3 months in the hospital. He was sent home with Oxygen, monitors, feeding tub and 6 meds. He was meant to be on it all for up to six months, but he never needed the oxygen, we took the feeding tube out after only 2 weeks and used the monitors for 2 months. He is now only on 2 meds!
Clayton had another surgery in April of 09 to hook up his colon, he no longer has the colostomy bag. He also had a surgery last week November the 11th to pull down his testicles, circumcise, eye exam, and tubes in the ears.
The hardest days in this last year, was the day of his 9 hour heart surgery and the day we almost lost him. We feel so blessed to have him here with us. He is so special. Everyone that meets him knows that he is one of our heavenly fathers most special spirits.
Clayton will have lots to struggle with for the rest of his life, But we are going to do all we can to let him have the happiest life possible.
I what to thank all those who have helped us in the last year we have been through a lot. There is no way we could have done this with out all of are family and friends that help out. We felt all of those prayers for our family, and I am sure Clayton is here today because of those prayers. Thank you so much!!

1 comment:

Amishka said...

Holy Cow that's quit a mouth full. Now we need to see some birthday pictures on there.